Follow me! Let's be strange together. Lunatic and Swan Studios are on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, and Twitter.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

To laugh or not to laugh, that is the question.

I have about three fans.  One of them is a friend's mother, and it was recently conveyed to me that fan number three did not know whether the Butthole Problems series was intended to be funny or not.  Farts was certainly artsy, but was this patient information and self advocacy?  Or was this comedy?

My first response was, all of the videos are artsy.

But more than that, I have never believed that very different or even opposite truths were always mutually exclusive.  Juxtaposition has always been a major feature of my work.  As far as I am concerned, the more awkward and incongruous the better.

So I added a few texts to my response.  I went for a little self-promotion and suggested she check the blog, as I have already written three short entries on my intentions with Butthole Problems.  But I added this:

"Basically I want to make art about my sickness but I do not want it to be depressing... plus I want it to be me, and I am weird."

Having said that, every video that contains anything remotely resembling medical advice includes a warning screen that you should not take medical advice from YouTube videos, especially not mine.  This is art about my experiences with illness.  Whatever you got wrong with you, get checked out by a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment